Importing Turtles and Tortoises
Allowed species of turtles and tortoises for import to Hawaii must meet the following requirements:
- Requires an import permit prior to importation, from the Chief Plant Inspector, Department of Agriculture, 1849 Auiki Street, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96819. Call (808) 832-0566 for information. To download the application form, click here.
- Requires a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate. The CVI must be issued and signed by a State, Federal, or accredited veterinarian within seven days prior to arrival in Hawaii.
- The CVI must list and give a description of the animal(s) in the shipment, must state that the animal(s) were not showing signs of infectious, contagious and/or communicable diseases and were found free of external parasites.
- Turtles/tortoises are required to enter the State only through the Honolulu International Airport where they are required to be submitted by an agent of the airline carrier to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility for inspection. Hours of inspection are 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Once inspection is complete and all entry requirements have been met, the turtles/tortoises may be released to the importer.