Proposed Administrative Rules
July 10, 2015
The Hawaii Department of Agriculture is currently considering proposed changes to the Administrative Rules regarding chapter 4-29, Hawaii Administrative Rules, entitled “Dogs, Cats, and Other Carnivores.” Chapter 4-29, HAR, is being amended to:
(1) Change definitions by: (a) Adding “Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility; (b) Adding “Diplomat” pertaining to a new Section 4-29-8.3 regarding animals in Hawaii that require urgent specialized veterinary medical diagnostics or treatment to depart and return to Hawaii without quarantine; and (c) The definition of “Service Dog” is amended;
(2) Change other requirements by modifying vaccine and antibody test periods before arrival when an animal has three or more subsequent vaccinations or multiple sequential antibody tests done before expiration of the previous one; (3) Change movement of dogs and cats originating in Hawaii by modifying the 14 day minimum period before departure from Hawaii when an animal has three or more subsequent vaccinations or multiple sequential antibody tests done before expiration of the previous one; (4) Add a new section “Movement of dogs and cats requiring urgent diagnostic, medical or surgical procedures not available in Hawaii” ; (5) Add a new fee to reissue a Neighbor Island Inspection Permit; (6) Change criteria and conditions for service dogs and exempted guide dogs by: (a) Delete a housing provision at the state quarantine station; and (b) clarification of a serology requirement; (7) Change approved service dog and guide dog programs to be consistent with current American with Disabilities Act language; and (8)
Make other changes for simplification, clarity or to correct grammar and punctuation.
The schedule of public hearings on the proposed rules is as follows:
- August 10, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.
Department of Agriculture Conference Room
4398A Pua Loke Street, Lihue, Kauai
- August 11, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.|
Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine Conference Room
1849 Auiki Street, Honolulu, Oahu
- August 12, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.
Department of Agriculture Conference Room
635 Mua Street, Kahului, Maui
- August 13, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.
Kona Civic Center Conference Room
82-6130 Mamalahoa Hwy., Bldg. 2
Capt. Cook, Hawaii
- August 14, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.
State Office Building, Conference Room C
75 Aupuni Street, Hilo, Hawaii
All interested parties are urged to attend the hearings and submit comments or testimony orally or in writing. Copies of the proposed rules may be reviewed by accessing the Department’s website (click here) or in person during normal business hours at the following Department of Agriculture offices:
99‑941 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, HI 96701 (Phone ‑‑ 483‑7100)
99‑951 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, HI 96701 (Phone ‑‑ 483‑7151)
1428 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96814 (Phone ‑‑ 483‑7100)
Kauai – 4398A Pua Loke Street, Lihue, HI 96766 (Phone – 241-7138)
Maui – 635 Mua Street, Kahului, HI 96732 (Phone – 873-3555)
Hilo – 75 Aupuni Street, Hilo, HI 96720 (Phone ‑‑ 974‑6500)
Kona – Civic Center, Rm. 3, 82-6130 Mamalahoa Hwy., Capt Cook, HI 96704
(Phone – 974-6500)
Copies of the proposed rules may also be obtained at the above offices by paying a fee for photocopying or may be sent by mail upon receipt of a fee for photocopying and postage.
The Department of Agriculture will also accept written testimony until August 21, 2015 at the Department of Agriculture, 1428 South King St., Honolulu, HI 96814‑2512 or via e-mail to HDOAAI@HAWAII.GOV
Special accommodations, such as sign language interpretation, large printing, taped materials, and accessible parking, can be provided if requested in advance. This request may be made in writing to one of the addresses listed above or by calling (808) 483-7103.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The Hawaii Department of Agriculture is currently considering proposed changes to the Administrative Rules regarding Chapter 4-70, Hawaii Administrative Rules, Entitled, “Plants and Non-Domestic Animal Quarantine, Plant Import Rules,” to Add a New Subchapter to Restrict the Importation of Myrtaceae (Myrtle Family) Plants and Plant Parts to Prevent the Introduction of New Strains of ‘Ohi’a rust, Puccinia psidii, a Plant Pathogen.
To view the proposed rule changes, click here.
The Hawaii Board of Agriculture is scheduled to discuss this rule change at its meeting on February 24, 2015. To view the board agenda, go to the State’s On-line Calendar at: http://calendar.ehawaii.gov/calendar/html/event/2015/2/24/?event=111191811&viewperiod=1¤tViewtype=2&viewtype=2&eventCollectionCode=doa_boa
For information on this rule change, contact the Plant Quarantine Branch at (808) 832-0566.
* * * * * * * * * * *
For information on the Hawaii Department of Agriculture, write to:
Hawaii Department of Agriculture Office of the Chairperson 1428 South King Street Honolulu, HI 96814-2512
Phone: (808) 973-9560 E-mail: HDOA