Traveling from the U.S. Mainland to Hawaii

The Hawaii Department of Agriculture is responsible for inspecting plant material arriving from the U.S. Mainland.


Agricultural items include all plants, plant parts, animals, microorganism cultures, soil, and related containers and packing materials.

  • All agricultural items must be declared on the “Plants and Animals Declaration Form,” which is distributed and collected by flight attendants prior to landing in Hawaii.
  • All agricultural items must be presented for inspection at the Agricultural Inspection Counter located near the exits in the baggage claim area.
  • All plant material must be free of soil, insect pests and signs of disease.


If you have questions regarding the import status of any plant or animal, please contact the Plant Quarantine Branch at (808) 832-0566.

Common restricted plant material: Most plants are permitted into the State after inspection.  However, Hawaii does not allow the following to be shipped into the State without prior arrangements for permit and/or quarantine, treatments, or certification:

  • Pineapple and bromeliad plants and fruits
  • Passion fruit plants and seeds
  • Cruciferous root vegetables (radish, turnip, daikon, horseradish, rutabaga)
  • Corn on the cob
  • Citrus and pulpy fruits from Florida & Puerto Rico
  • Taro and dasheen
  • Coconuts
  • Orchid plants require an import permit and certificate of origin.
  • Plants in the grass family (including sugar cane and bamboo.
  • Coffee plants and plant parts including seeds.  (Green coffee beans must be fumigated and certified prior to shipment)*
  • Palm plants
  • Aster, chrysanthemum, hollyhock, dahlia and gladiolus plants require certification of origin or certification of treatment depending on where they are grown.*
  • Pine plants and parts require certificate of origin or certificate of treatment depending on where they are grown.  Cut branches are allowed during the period of Oct. 20 to Dec. 31.
  • Sorghum, broomcorn and sudan grass – non-propagative parts require certificate of origin or certificate of treatment depending on where it is grown.  Propagative parts (except seed) for planting require an import permit and quarantine.

To view the administrative rules regarding plant importation (Chapter 70 – Plant Import Rules), click here.


In general, foods that are cooked, canned, frozen or commercially processed and/or packaged are allowed to be transported to Hawaii, as long as the product is arriving from within the U.S.

Frozen or chilled meats are also allowed to be transported to Hawaii as long as the meat originated from within the U.S.

Manufactured food products are not required to be declared or inspected.


Hawaii has strict importing regulations for animals.

To view the webpage on Importing Animals to Hawaii, click here.