Importing Livestock into Hawaii

For information on Foot-and-Mouth Disease, link to the USDA website.

Hawaii is a class-free State for brucellosis, tuberculosis and pseudorabies.

The following general and special requirements are provided:

  • A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) is required for ALL animals arriving in Hawaii. The certificate must be signed by a State, Federal, or accredited veterinarian; it must be seven or fewer days old; and must attest that all requirements have been fulfilled. CVI must include the physical address or location for the point of origin of movement, and the physical address or location for the point of destination.
  • See Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Requirements under Swine
  • *Vesicular Stomatitis:  

The following statement is to appear on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) for all livestock entering Hawaii originating from states affected with Vesicular Stomatitis (VS) for the duration of the VS outbreaks.

“I have examined all the animals identified on this certificate within 72 hours of shipment date and found them to be free from signs of Vesicular Stomatitis (VS). During the last thirty (30) days, these animals have not been exposed to VS nor located on a VS confirmed or a VS suspected premises.”

Import Requirements for Livestock

Select one of the following for more information and import requirements for a particular species:

Any exception to these requirements must have the prior approval of the Hawaii State Veterinarian or his approved staff veterinarian.

National database for Interstate Transport of Livestock:


For additional information:

During office hours, for livestock, semen and embryos, & non-domestic animals call (808) 483-7113.

For information on dogs and cats, go to:  rabies quarantine information.

For birds, poultry, rabbits and other pets call (808) 837-8092 or click here to email

For emergency provisions, after hours, or on weekends, call (808) 837-8092.

Link to Animal Disease Control Branch information