Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services Branch
Hawai`i is an ideal location for aquaculture, the farming of plants and animals in water. From lush green mountains to sandy shores along the ocean, water abounds throughout Hawai`i, providing a myriad of environments for raising seafood. Shrimp, abalone, seaweed, microalgae, tilapia, and various organisms for the aquarium trade are raised here.
The Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services (ALSS), a branch of the Animal Industry Division, generates diversified agriculture solutions for moving Hawai`i towards greater food self-sufficiency, and fosters viable export industries.
ALSS provides a broad range of support to new and existing aquaculture and livestock businesses through planning and coordination, business counseling, and information dissemination efforts. ALSS offers assistance in:
- Starting a new business in Hawai`i;
- Introducing best management practices and new technologies;
- Providing direct assistance with regulations and disease prevention;
- Assisting market development at home and abroad;
- Facilitating expansion of offshore aquaculture development on species, systems, and potential leases;
- Helping to secure resources such as leaseholds, water, and processing facilities required to maintain and promote the local production of aquaculture and livestock.
Hawai`i is moving towards greater food self-sufficiency. Many new and exciting opportunities are emerging. In the following pages, you will learn more about our industries and how you can take advantage of these opportunities.
- Hawai`i’s Ocean Opportunities report
- Food Wholesalers and Aquaponic Farms in Hawai`i
- Aquaculture in Hawai`i
- Open Ocean Fish Farming
- Aquaculture Opportunties
- Starting an Aquaculture Business in Hawai`i
- SPF Shrimp Broodstock Information
Dept. of Agriculture, Aquaculture & Livestock Support Services
State of Hawaii
Email: [email protected]