Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services Branch
Hawai`i is an ideal location for aquaculture, the farming of plants and animals in water. From lush green mountains to sandy shores along the ocean, water abounds throughout Hawai`i, providing a myriad of environments for raising seafood. Shrimp, abalone, seaweed, microalgae, tilapia, and various organisms for the aquarium trade are raised here.
The Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services (ALSS), a branch of the Animal Industry Division, generates diversified agriculture solutions for moving Hawai`i towards greater food self-sufficiency, and fosters viable export industries.
ALSS provides a broad range of support to new and existing aquaculture and livestock businesses through planning and coordination, business counseling, and information dissemination efforts. ALSS offers assistance in:
- Starting a new business in Hawai`i;
- Introducing best management practices and new technologies;
- Providing direct assistance with regulations and disease prevention;
- Assisting market development at home and abroad;
- Facilitating expansion of offshore aquaculture development on species, systems, and potential leases;
- Helping to secure resources such as leaseholds, water, and processing facilities required to maintain and promote the local production of aquaculture and livestock.
Hawai`i is moving towards greater food self-sufficiency. Many new and exciting opportunities are emerging. In the following pages, you will learn more about our industries and how you can take advantage of these opportunities.
Hawaii Aquaculture Sales Reach Record High in 2021
Good news! Hawai`i aquaculture sales in 2021 reached a record high of $79.7 million, up 20% from 2020. Algae production contributed 46% of the total sales according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service. The report is posted at: https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/add/files/2022/09/AQUAHI_0922.pdf
- Hawai`i’s Ocean Opportunities report
- Food Wholesalers and Aquaponic Farms in Hawai`i
- Aquaculture in Hawai`i
- Open Ocean Fish Farming
- Aquaculture Opportunties
- Starting an Aquaculture Business in Hawai`i
- SPF Shrimp Broodstock Information
Dept. of Agriculture, Aquaculture & Livestock Support Services
State of Hawaii
Email: [email protected]