Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services Branch
Hawai`i is an ideal location for aquaculture, the farming of plants and animals in water. From lush green mountains to sandy shores along the ocean, water abounds throughout Hawai`i, providing a myriad of environments for raising seafood. Shrimp, abalone, seaweed, microalgae, tilapia, and various organisms for the aquarium trade are raised here.
The Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services (ALSS), a branch of the Animal Industry Division, generates diversified agriculture solutions for moving Hawai`i towards greater food self-sufficiency, and fosters viable export industries.
ALSS provides a broad range of support to new and existing aquaculture and livestock businesses through planning and coordination, business counseling, and information dissemination efforts. ALSS offers assistance in:
- Starting a new business in Hawai`i;
- Introducing best management practices and new technologies;
- Providing direct assistance with regulations and disease prevention;
- Assisting market development at home and abroad;
- Facilitating expansion of offshore aquaculture development on species, systems, and potential leases;
- Helping to secure resources such as leaseholds, water, and processing facilities required to maintain and promote the local production of aquaculture and livestock.
Hawai`i is moving towards greater food self-sufficiency. Many new and exciting opportunities are emerging. In the following pages, you will learn more about our industries and how you can take advantage of these opportunities.
USDA Seafood Processors Pandemic Response and Safety Block Grant Program
HDOA’s Aquaculture and Livestock Support Program is administering the federal Seafood Processors Pandemic Response and Safety Block Grant Program. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) program is designed to provide relief to seafood processors who incurred costs due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The deadline to apply is May 1, 2022.
For information on the block grant and how to apply, go to: https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/main/seafood-processors-pandemic-block-grant/
Dept. of Agriculture, Aquaculture & Livestock Support Services
State of Hawaii
Email: [email protected]