Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services Branch
Hawaii is an ideal location for aquaculture, the farming of plants and animals in water. From lush green mountains to sandy shores along the ocean, water abounds throughout Hawaii, providing a myriad of environments for raising seafood. Shrimp, abalone, seaweed, microalgae, tilapia, and various organisms for the aquarium trade are raised here.
The Aquaculture and Livestock Support Services (ALSS), a branch of the Animal Industry Division, generates diversified agriculture solutions for moving Hawaii towards greater food self-sufficiency, and fosters viable export industries.
ALSS provides a broad range of support to new and existing aquaculture and livestock businesses through planning and coordination, business counseling, and information dissemination efforts. ALSS offers assistance in:
- Starting a new business in Hawaii;
- Introducing best management practices and new technologies;
- Providing direct assistance with regulations and disease prevention;
- Assisting market development at home and abroad;
- Facilitating expansion of offshore aquaculture development on species, systems, and potential leases;
- Helping to secure resources such as leaseholds, water, and processing facilities required to maintain and promote the local production of aquaculture and livestock.
Hawaii is moving towards greater food self-sufficiency. Many new and exciting opportunities are emerging. In the following pages, you will learn more about our industries and how you can take advantage of these opportunities.
- Livestock Feed Development Program FY2017
Act 221, SLH 2016 has provided funding to reimburse qualified feed developers for the costs of developing feed for sale to qualified producers between July 1, 2016 and April 15, 2017. The total amount available for reimbursement is $950,000.
Note: The deadline for forms submittal is April 30, 2017.
Producer’s Operating Statement Form
Dept. of Agriculture, Aquaculture & Livestock Support Services
State of Hawaii
Email: [email protected]