Importing Livestock to Hawaii

For information on Foot-and-Mouth Disease link to the USDA website.

Hawaii is a class-free State for brucellosis, tuberculosis and pseudorabies.

The following general and special requirements are provided:

  • A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) is required for ALL animals arriving in Hawaii. The certificate must be signed by a State, Federal, or accredited veterinarian; it must be seven or fewer days old; and must attest that all requirements have been fulfilled.
    • *Vesicular Stomatitis:

The following statement is to appear on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) for all livestock entering Hawaii from any state where vesicular stomatitis (VS) has been diagnosed.

“The animals represented on this certificate have not originated from a premises or area within 10 miles of a premises under quarantine for vesicular stomatitis (VS) within the past 20 days.  I have examined these animals and have not observed lesions or clinical signs of VS.”

Any exception to these requirements must have the prior approval of the Hawaii State Veterinarian or his approved staff veterinarian.

For information on the requirements for importing specific livestock, go to:


For additional information:

During office hours, for livestock, semen and embryos, & non-domestic animals call (808) 483-7113.

Information on dogs and cats

For birds, poultry, rabbits and other pets call (808) 837-8092 or click here to email

For emergency provisions, after hours, or on weekends, call (808) 837-8092.

Link to Animal Disease Control Branch information