Market Development Branch
The mission of the Market Development Branch is to facilitate the development of the agricultural industry, consisting of commodity groups of agricultural producers and food processors, through the expansion of new and existing markets. This branch assists Hawaii producers by sponsoring or participating in numerous projects and activities.
Looking for sources of Hawaii-Grown, Hawaii-Made agricultural products?
HDOA has upgraded the searchable database of local farmers, vendors and products.
If you have a Hawaii-grown or Hawaii-made product and would like to be added to this listing please go to this database.
Micro-Grants for Food Security Program
On Oct. 20, 2020, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) awarded Hawaii $1.9 million for the Micro-Grants for Food Security Program which was established to help small-scale farmers, ranchers and ag-related organizations increase the quality and quantity of locally produced foods in areas that are food insecure.
UPDATE: HDOA’s Market Development Branch is currently working to establish the grant program and to develop webinars to assist applicants. Additional information received from USDA in November now has slated the estimated opening date for the grants for January 2021. In anticipation of the opening of the grants, the Market Development Branch has outlined what will be required of applicants once the grant program is opened in January – to view, go to: https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/add/main/mgfsp/
Please check this webpage for future updates
To view the news release issued by Governor David Ige, go to: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/blog/main/nr-1-9mforsmallag/
New land availability fact sheet available for all islands
GoFarm Hawai‘i and The Kohala Center collaborated to publish a land availability fact sheet to help farmers identify land they can lease or purchase in every county. The fact sheet is available to view and download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56HBPH-y_7pTTcwV0p2N0lqeWFCXzJGci1FejlHalJuRFlF/view
DISH ALOHA VIDEOS
Anissa Estrella, former staff member of the Market Development Branch, produced several videos to promote locally grown and produced foods. View the videos.
EAT LOCAL CAMPAIGN ON HI NOW
BUY LOCAL, IT MATTERS PSAs
HDOA has produced several public service announcements for the Buy Local, It Matters campaign to encourage consumers to increase their consumption of locally grown foods and to support our Hawaii farmers.
View the PSAs.
TRADE SHOWS & EVENTS
HDOA Coordinates the following trade shows in Hawaii, mainland and global markets in 2020.Don’t miss this golden opportunity to be a part of Hawaii Pavilion in the major food trade shows!
Trade shows 2021
- FOODEX JAPAN 2021, March 9-12, 2021, Chiba, Japan Application Deadline: 12/10/20
- International Food Ingredients & Additives Exhibition and Conference, IFIA JAPAN 2021, May 12-14, Tokyo, Japan Application Deadline: 12/31/20
- National Restaurant Association Show, NRA Show 2021, May 22-25, Chicago, IL Application Deadline: 12/31/20
- PMA Fresh Summit Convention + Expo 2021, October 28-30, New Orleans, LA Application Deadline: 1/15/21
Use a quick & easy on-line booth application form to express your intention to participate. One of our representatives will contact you to discuss about qualification and application fee. APPLY NOW!
- Request for Proposals for Import Replacement Specialty Crop Program (NEW!)
- USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program (SCBGP)
- USDA Organic Cost Sharing Program
- Organic Foods Production Tax Credit Program
- HDOA Sponsorship Product Promotion (SPP)
LIST OF WUSATA ACTIVITIES FOR 2021
We work with Western United States Agricultural Trade Association (WUSATA). We help agribusinesses explore, enter and expand into the global market place
- Japan Virtual Trade Mission (February 9)
- Korea Outbound Mission to Seoul (May 10-12)
- ASEAN Specialty Beverage Inbound Mission to AK, HI (June 21-25)
- Korea Retail Inbound Trade Mission to OR & HI (June 7-11)
- Taiwan Retail Gifts/Packaging Outbound Trade Mission (June 7-11)
- China Consumer Oriented Inbound Trade Mission to WA, HI (July 25-30)
- Australia Retail Inbound Mission to CO, HI (October 10-16)
For more information on those activities, check WUSATA website: https://www.wusata.org/
- Buy Local, It Matters Vegetable and Fruits Seasonality Chart
- Hawaii Agriculture and Food Products Directory : A database of Hawaii agricultural producers and products
- Farmers’ Market Listing : The most comprehensive listing of farmers’ markets around the state.
- Buy Local, It Matters – Eat Local Food Hacks
- Top 10 Imported Commodities to Hawaii – Provides data for local farmers who wish to grow and replace these imported foods.
- Ag Calendar – A listing of future ag-related events
- Breadfruit- From Tree to Consumer (2014)
- Breadfruit Marketing Materials
- Breadfruit Informational Video
PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU ARE:
Hawaii producer of an agricultural product or a manufacturer of a food product looking for promotional assistance or a market for your product, or:
- company wanting to be included or update information in our Hawaii Agriculture & Food Products Directory; fill out our Product Registration Form, or
- an individual or firm engaged in marketing an agriculture or food product from Hawaii and needing marketing information, or
- a non-profit agricultural or food manufacturing commodity association needing assistance in generic product promotion.
- Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Agricultural Development Division
Market Development Branch
1428 South King Street
Honolulu, HI, 96814-2512
- Phone: (808) 973-9595
Fax: (808) 973-9590
E-mail: [email protected]