Rat Lungworm Disease InformationPosted on Apr 12, 2017 in Main
♦ Informational meetings scheduled :
- Monday, April 17, 2017 – Haiku Community Center, Maui 5:30 p.m. (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, April 26, 2017 – Hannibal Tavares Community Center, Pukalani, Maui 5:30 p.m. (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
For more information, go to: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=8279
♦ UH Manoa – Cooperative Extension Service will also hold informational meetings for gardeners and farmers on how to control slugs, snails and rats which carry the rat lungworm disease:
- Thursday, April 20, 2017 at Kula Elementary School Cafeteria, Maui at 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at the UH – Maui College Community Service Building at 5:30 p.m.
Contact: Kylie or Lynn at ph. 808.244.3242.
♦ UH – College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources –
Mobile Food Safety Field Day – Oahu
Food Safety Modernization Act* GAP * Food Borne Pathogens * Worker Hygiene and Health * Domestic and Wild Animals * Rat Lung Worm Prevention* Agriculture Water * Post Harvest Washing
- Saturday, April 29, 2017 – Waimanalo Research Station, Oahu – 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Information on Rat Lungworm Disease may be found at several different sources:
- Hawaii Department of Health: http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/disease_listing/rat-lungworm-angiostrongyliasis/
- UH-Hilo, Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy:
- FAQ: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/rlw/faq.php
- Children’s Informational Activity Book: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/rlw/documents/RLWD_activity_book.pdf
- University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources:
- Avoiding Rat Lungworm Disease: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-35.pd
- Best On-Farm Food Safety Practices for Reducing the Risk of Rat Lungworm: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-39.pd
- CTAHR Farm Food Safety website (for growers and handlers): http://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/farmfoodsafety/
- Filters for Rainwater Catchment: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaiirain/downloads/3_filters.pd
- Best Practices for Hawaii School Gardens: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-45.pd
- Post-harvest Management: https://portal.nifa.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/0227000-post-harvest-management-of-slugs-and-snails-potentially-carrying-rat-lungworm-angiostrongylus-cantonensis-in-hawaii.html
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/angiostrongylus/
- National Institutes for Health (NIH), Rat Lungworm in Dogs in Australia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3361490/