Rat Lungworm Disease InformationPosted on Aug 25, 2017 in Main
Gov. Ige Announces Stepped Up Efforts in Prevention of Rat Lungworm Disease
On Aug 2, 2017, Gov. Ige, the Department of Health, the Department of Agriculture and a Joint Task Force announced new efforts to prevent rat lungworm disease in Hawaii. To view the Governor’s news release and video of the news conference, click here.
Rat Lungworm PSA
HDOA is running a public service announcement (PSA) on multiple cable channels statewide to inform residents about good food safety practices. To view the PSA, click here.
Radio PSAs are also running statewide.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Public Informational Meeting & Workshops
Rat Lungworm Informational Meetings – Oahu
A series of informational meetings will be held on Oahu on rat lungworm disease and prevention.
- Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017 @ Waimanalo Elementary/Intermediate School Cafeteria, 41-1330 Kalanianaole Hwy., 6:00—8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017 @ Kahuku High School Cafeteria,
56-490 Kamehameha Hwy., 6:00—8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017 @ Hawaii Agriculture Research Center (HARC), 94-340 Kunia Rd., 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
The meetings will include presentations by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA), Hawaii Department of Health and the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources.
Farmers and interested individuals are encouraged to attend. Agricultural and health officials will be there to provide farmers and gardeners with information on how to reduce the risk of rat lungworm disease and other foodborne illnesses.
For more information, contact: Luisa Castro, HDOA Food Safety Program Manager, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 808.974.4130 (Hilo),
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Information on Rat Lungworm Disease may be found at several different sources:
- Hawaii Department of Health: http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/disease_listing/rat-lungworm-angiostrongyliasis/
- UH-Hilo, Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy:
- FAQ: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/rlw/faq.php
- Children’s Informational Activity Book: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/rlw/documents/RLWD_activity_book.pdf
- University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources:
- Safe Produce: Keep it Clean (how to wash your produce): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P765zduM8t8&feature=youtu.be
- Managing Slugs, Snails and Flatworms in the Home Garden: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/farmfoodsafety/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CTAHR-Snail-Slug-Mgmt-HG-RLWD.pdf
- Avoiding Rat Lungworm Disease: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-35.pd
- Best On-Farm Food Safety Practices for Reducing the Risk of Rat Lungworm: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-39.pd
- CTAHR Farm Food Safety website (for growers and handlers): http://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/farmfoodsafety/
- Filters for Rainwater Catchment: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaiirain/downloads/3_filters.pd
- Best Practices for Hawaii School Gardens: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-45.pd
- Post-harvest Management: https://portal.nifa.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/0227000-post-harvest-management-of-slugs-and-snails-potentially-carrying-rat-lungworm-angiostrongylus-cantonensis-in-hawaii.html
- Slug & snail registered pesticides in Hawaii for commercial use: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/farmfoodsafety/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Slug-and-Snail-Pesticides-in-Hawaii-FINAL-Commercial-4-27-2017.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/angiostrongylus/
- National Institutes for Health (NIH), Rat Lungworm in Dogs in Australia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3361490/
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
♦ Informational Forums
Insights on PBS Hawaii aired a show on rat lungworm disease. The show aired on May 25, 2017.
To view , go to: http://pbshawaii.org/insights-on-pbs-hawaii-rat-lungworm-what-you-need-to-know-what-you-need-to-do/
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
♦ Previous Informational Meetings:
- Monday, April 17, 2017 – Haiku Community Center, Maui 5:30 p.m. (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, April 26, 2017 – Hannibal Tavares Community Center, Pukalani, Maui 5:30 p.m. (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
♦ UH Manoa – Cooperative Extension Service held informational meetings for gardeners and farmers on how to control slugs, snails and rats which carry the rat lungworm disease:
- Thursday, April 20, 2017 at Kula Elementary School Cafeteria, Maui at 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at the UH – Maui College Community Service Building at 5:30 p.m.
♦ UH – College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources –
Mobile Food Safety Field Day – Oahu
Food Safety Modernization Act* GAP * Food Borne Pathogens * Worker Hygiene and Health * Domestic and Wild Animals * Rat Lung Worm Prevention* Agriculture Water * Post Harvest Washing
- Saturday, April 29, 2017 – Waimanalo Research Station, Oahu – 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. See flyer
♦ The Hawai‘i State Department of Health (DOH), Maui District Health Office, held a public informational meeting on rat lungworm disease on:
- Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at the Mitchell Pauole Community Center on Molokaʻi from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
To view the DOH news release with more information, go to: https://health.hawaii.gov/news/files/2013/05/17-040-RLW-mtg-Molokai.pdf
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training Course – Maui
June 23, 2017, UH Maui College, Kaahumanu Ave., Kahului, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
Workshop for fruit and vegetable growers and others interested in learning about produce safety and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and Good Agricultural Practices (GAP). Fee: $150.
To view the flyer and registration form, click here.
- Lanai Community Town Hall Meeting – Thursday, July 6, 2017, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. at the ILWU Hall.
Department of Health, UH-College of Tropical Agriculture & Human Resources, Maui Invasive Species Committee and others to present information.
- Rat Lungworm Disease Information Session for Commercial Growers & Ag Professionals
by the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR)
Tuesday, July 18, 2017 – 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm
Waimea Civic Center conference room (next to the Waimea Police Station)
65-5189 Kamamalu Rd., Kamuela, HI 96743
To view the flyer, click here
(808) 887-6183 Email: email@example.com
- Free webinar – Rat Lungworm Prevention: Management Strategies for Rats, Snails and Slugs
August 25, 2017 – 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture Food Safety Program and UH Cooperative Extension Farm Food Safety
To view the webinar flyer, click here.
The Hawaii Department of Agriculture Farm Food Safety Program and the UH Cooperative Extension Farm Food Safety Team work with farmers, packers, and others interested in agriculture and food, to understand and meet current regulatory and industry standards.
Locations: Online webinar using Zoom | UH MC Community Service Building | Dept. of Health Hilo Conference Room
Earn 2 HDOA Agricultural Pesticide Applicator CEUs
Lynn Nakamura-Tengan, Extension Educator at University of Hawaii Manoa,
808-244-3242, ext. 233 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Luisa F. Castro, Agriculture Food Safety Program Manager at Hawaii Department of Agriculture,
808-974-4144 | email: email@example.com