Rat Lungworm Disease InformationPosted on Oct 1, 2017 in Main
Gov. Ige Announces Stepped Up Efforts in Prevention of Rat Lungworm Disease
On Aug 2, 2017, Gov. Ige, the Department of Health, the Department of Agriculture and a Joint Task Force announced new efforts to prevent rat lungworm disease in Hawaii. To view the Governor’s news release and video of the news conference, click here.
Rat Lungworm PSA
HDOA is running a public service announcement (PSA) on multiple cable channels statewide to inform residents about good food safety practices. To view the PSA, click here.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Public Informational Meeting & Workshops
- Oahu Informational Meetings
The Hawaii Department of Health (DOH), along with its partners at the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA) and the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR), will be hosting a series of community meetings on rat lungworm disease on Oahu.
Meetings will take place at the following dates and locations from 6–8 p.m.:
• Thursday, Oct. 26: Ala Wai Elementary School Cafeteria
• Wednesday, Nov. 8: Ewa Elementary School Cafeteria
• Thursday, Nov. 9: Kaneohe Elementary School Cafeteria
For more information on these meetings, go to the DOH website: https://health.hawaii.gov/news/files/2013/05/17-090-DOH-RLWD-Community-Meetings-NR-FINAL.pdf
- MAUI Food Safety Course
An intensive and comprehensive workshop is being offered by the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture & Human Resources on the requirements of the federal Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) on Nov. 13 – 15, 2017. The course, Hazard Analysis and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Food, will be held at the Maui Beach Hotel. There is a registration fee of $700 and deadline for registration is Oct. 30, 2017. The course is intended for food industry professionals who are responsible for developing food safety plans; however, the course would be beneficial to farmers, wholesalers and others in food-related industries.
To view the course brochure with registration information, click here.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Information on Rat Lungworm Disease may be found at several different sources:
- Hawaii Department of Health: http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/disease_listing/rat-lungworm-angiostrongyliasis/
- UH-Hilo, Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy:
- FAQ: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/rlw/faq.php
- Children’s Informational Activity Book: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/rlw/documents/RLWD_activity_book.pdf
- University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources:
- Safe Produce: Keep it Clean (how to wash your produce): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P765zduM8t8&feature=youtu.be
- Managing Slugs, Snails and Flatworms in the Home Garden: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/farmfoodsafety/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CTAHR-Snail-Slug-Mgmt-HG-RLWD.pdf
- Avoiding Rat Lungworm Disease: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-35.pd
- Best On-Farm Food Safety Practices for Reducing the Risk of Rat Lungworm: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-39.pd
- CTAHR Farm Food Safety website (for growers and handlers): http://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/farmfoodsafety/
- Filters for Rainwater Catchment: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaiirain/downloads/3_filters.pd
- Best Practices for Hawaii School Gardens: https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/FST-45.pd
- Post-harvest Management: https://portal.nifa.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/0227000-post-harvest-management-of-slugs-and-snails-potentially-carrying-rat-lungworm-angiostrongylus-cantonensis-in-hawaii.html
- Slug & snail registered pesticides in Hawaii for commercial use: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/ctahr/farmfoodsafety/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Slug-and-Snail-Pesticides-in-Hawaii-FINAL-Commercial-4-27-2017.pdf
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/angiostrongylus/
- National Institutes for Health (NIH), Rat Lungworm in Dogs in Australia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3361490/
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
♦ Informational Forums
Insights on PBS Hawaii aired a show on rat lungworm disease. The show aired on May 25, 2017.
To view , go to: http://pbshawaii.org/insights-on-pbs-hawaii-rat-lungworm-what-you-need-to-know-what-you-need-to-do/
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
♦ Previous Informational Meetings:
- Monday, April 17, 2017 – Haiku Community Center, Maui 5:30 p.m. (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
- Wednesday, April 26, 2017 – Hannibal Tavares Community Center, Pukalani, Maui 5:30 p.m. (doors open at 5:00 p.m.)
♦ UH Manoa – Cooperative Extension Service held informational meetings for gardeners and farmers on how to control slugs, snails and rats which carry the rat lungworm disease:
- Thursday, April 20, 2017 at Kula Elementary School Cafeteria, Maui at 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at the UH – Maui College Community Service Building at 5:30 p.m.
♦ UH – College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources –
Mobile Food Safety Field Day – Oahu
Food Safety Modernization Act* GAP * Food Borne Pathogens * Worker Hygiene and Health * Domestic and Wild Animals * Rat Lung Worm Prevention* Agriculture Water * Post Harvest Washing
- Saturday, April 29, 2017 – Waimanalo Research Station, Oahu – 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. See flyer
♦ The Hawai‘i State Department of Health (DOH), Maui District Health Office, held a public informational meeting on rat lungworm disease on:
- Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at the Mitchell Pauole Community Center on Molokaʻi from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
To view the DOH news release with more information, go to: https://health.hawaii.gov/news/files/2013/05/17-040-RLW-mtg-Molokai.pdf
- Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training Course – Maui
June 23, 2017, UH Maui College, Kaahumanu Ave., Kahului, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
Workshop for fruit and vegetable growers and others interested in learning about produce safety and the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and Good Agricultural Practices (GAP). Fee: $150.
To view the flyer and registration form, click here.
- Lanai Community Town Hall Meeting – Thursday, July 6, 2017, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. at the ILWU Hall.
Department of Health, UH-College of Tropical Agriculture & Human Resources, Maui Invasive Species Committee and others to present information.
- Rat Lungworm Disease Information Session for Commercial Growers & Ag Professionals
by the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR)
Tuesday, July 18, 2017 – 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm
Waimea Civic Center conference room (next to the Waimea Police Station)
65-5189 Kamamalu Rd., Kamuela, HI 96743
To view the flyer, click here
- Free webinar – Rat Lungworm Prevention: Management Strategies for Rats, Snails and Slugs
August 25, 2017 – 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Sponsored by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture Food Safety Program and UH Cooperative Extension Farm Food Safety
To view the webinar flyer, click here.
The Hawaii Department of Agriculture Farm Food Safety Program and the UH Cooperative Extension Farm Food Safety Team work with farmers, packers, and others interested in agriculture and food, to understand and meet current regulatory and industry standards.
- Rat Lungworm Informational Meetings – Oahu
A series of informational meetings will be held on Oahu on rat lungworm disease and prevention.
Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017 @ Waimanalo Elementary/Intermediate School Cafeteria, 41-1330 Kalanianaole Hwy., 6:00—8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017 @ Hawaii Agriculture Research Center (HARC), 94-340 Kunia Rd., 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
*REVISED LOCATION: Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017 @ Kahuku High School Cafeteria, 56-490 Kamehameha Hwy., 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
The meetings will include presentations by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA), Hawaii Department of Health and the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources.