Industrial Hemp Pilot Program
March 2017 HDOA Hemp Update
- The Department:
- Released on March 9, 2017 a request for proposals (RFP) to secure a contractor(s) to develop a line of Hawaii acclimated industrial hemp seed for distribution to licensees in the upcoming industrial hemp pilot program.
- Is in the process of registering as a Schedule 1 importer of controlled substances with the DEA.
- The Department Plans to:
- Award seed development contracts to contractor/(s) selected at the end of the RFP process.
- Hold hearings for public review of the draft administrative program rules in each county.\
- Import seeds to be further developed into a line of industrial hemp for Hawaii by the contractor/(s) selected at the end of the RFP process.
• March 2017
a. Hemp Seed Development RFP released March 10, 2017.
b. Proposals accepted until April 21, 2017
• May 2017
a. Hemp seed development contract awarded.
b. Public hearings on proposed administrative rules held.
• Fall 2017: Program Coordinator and Inspector selected.
• January 1-April 1 2018: Growers may begin applying for licenses.
*All date and times are rough estimates, and subject to change without notice, being contingent upon funding and approval processes. Check here for updates.
• AT THIS TIME: If you are interested in participating in the State industrial hemp pilot program, please examine Act 228 and the proposed hemp program administrative regulations to see the requirements which prospective applicants must meet to receive and maintain licensure under the program.
• If you are interested in the Hemp Seed Development RFP, please see: