Industrial Hemp Pilot Program
January 2017 HDOA Hemp Update
- The Department is:
- Registering as a Schedule 1 importer of controlled substances with the DEA.
- Awaiting the governor’s approval to release a seed development RFP.
- Awaiting approval for its proposed administrative rules from the Small Business Bureau and the governor, after which hearings for public review will be scheduled.
- The Department Plans to:
- Release a request for proposals (RFP) to secure a contractor(s) to develop a line of Hawaii acclimated industrial hemp seed for distribution to licensees in the upcoming industrial hemp pilot program.
- Hold hearings for public review of the draft administrative program rules in each county.
- Import seeds to be further developed into a line of industrial hemp for Hawaii by the contractor/(s) selected at the end of the RFP process.
- January 2017
- Hemp Seed Development RFP Posted.
- February 2017
- Hemp seed development contract awarded, seed development begins.
- March 2017
- Public hearings on proposed administrative rules held.
- Fall 2017:
- Program Coordinator and Inspector selected.
- January 1-April 1 2018:
- Growers may begin applying for licenses.
*All date and times are rough estimates, and subject to change without notice, being contingent upon funding and approval processes. Check here for updates.
• AT THIS TIME: If you are interested in participating in the State industrial hemp pilot program, please examine Act 228 and the proposed hemp program administrative regulations to see the requirements which prospective applicants must meet to receive and maintain licensure under the program.