Informational Meetings on Rat Lungworm Disease Scheduled Around OahuPosted on Sep 8, 2017 in Main
Sept. 8, 2017 (*REVISED Sept. 14, 2017)
Farmers and Home Gardeners Encouraged to Attend
HONOLULU – A series of three informational meetings on rat lungworm disease (RLWD) has been scheduled on Oahu this month. The meetings are being coordinated by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA), Hawaii Department of Health (DOH) and the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources (CTAHR).
The meetings have been scheduled for:
- Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017 @ Waimanalo Elementary/Intermediate School Cafeteria, 41-1330 Kalanianaole Hwy., 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- *REVISED LOCATION:
Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017 @ Hawaii Agriculture Research Center (HARC), 94-340 Kunia Rd., 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- *REVISED LOCATION: Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017 @ Kahuku High School Cafeteria, 56-490 Kamehameha Hwy., 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Farmers, home gardeners and interested individuals are encouraged to attend. Agricultural and health officials will make brief presentations and provide information on how to reduce the risk of RLWD and other foodborne illnesses, especially on farms and in gardens.
Those with a Hawaii State Department of Agriculture Pesticide License will be able to obtain 2.0 HDOA Agricultural Pesticide Applicator CEUs for attending the entire presentation.
RLWD is a disease that affects the brain and spinal cord. It is caused by a parasitic nematode called Angiostrongylus cantonensis, which may be carried by rodents, snails, slugs and other animals including freshwater shrimp, land crabs and frogs. Humans can acquire the infection by eating raw or undercooked snails, slugs or other animals infected with the parasite.
The DOH reports that in 2017, there have been 16 laboratory-confirmed cases of RLWD statewide:
- Hawaii Island: nine cases
- Maui: six cases
- Oahu: one case
- Kauai: no cases
The average number of cases per year statewide typically range from two to 11.
More information on RLWD may be found at:
- DOH website: https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/disease_listing/rat-lungworm-angiostrongyliasis/
- HDOA website: https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/blog/main/rat-lungworm-information/
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention website: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/angiostrongylus/index.html
# # #
To view and download the meetings flyer, click here.