Overview of major regulations affecting pesticide use In Hawaii
Regulates the distribution and use of pesticides to ensure safety and availability of important pesticides. List of licensed pesticides available.
The Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA), Pesticides Branch regulates the manufacture, sale, and use of pesticides in the State of Hawaii.
This section acquaints you with just some of the regulations.
For more information, contact the HDOA’s Pesticides Branch at (808)973-9401.
Various fees may apply. Please contact [email protected] or call (808) 973 – 9402.
- Certification of applicators for the purchase and use of restricted use products
- Certification of dealer representatives for the sale of restricted use pesticides
- Guidance and training on the use of any pesticide product
- Worker Protection Standard Trainings
NEW PESTICIDE USE REQUIREMENTS – ACT 45
Act 45 was passed by the 2018 Legislature and requires that all Certified Applicators of Restricted Use Pesticides (RUP) submit a report of the RUP that were applied each year. For information on the requirements of the new law, go to: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/main/act45/
For review of Act 45 and approved rule amendments to Hawaii Administrative Rules 4-66, go to: https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/files/2020/04/New-Rule-Changes-to-HAR-4-663.2020.pptx
Rule amendments were approved by the governor in August 2019
STATEWIDE PESTICIDE USE INITIATIVES
The State of Hawaii Department of Health (DOH) and Department of Agriculture are working together to help to address community concerns about pesticide use in Hawaii through a series of initiatives that include surface water testing, emergency response training, a statewide pesticide reporting program among other programs.
DENGUE OUTBREAK INFORMATION
The dengue outbreak on Hawaii Island has prompted the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to issue information on the use of insect repellents to protect against mosquito-borne diseases. To view the advisory, click here.
Licensing, Registration, Certification
- Pesticide Forms
- Lists of Licensed Pesticides
- Pesticide Applicator Certification / Recertification
- Restricted Use Pesticide Dealers
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING HAWAII DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO ADMINISTRATIVE RULES RELATING TO PESTICIDES can be found here: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/meetings-reports/proposedar/
- Senate Bill 3095 – Amendments to Chapter 149A, Hawaii Revised Statutes
- Chlorpyrifos Products (rev 7/23/18)
- AGRICULTURAL WORKER PROTECTION STANDARD (WPS) COMPARISON OF THE REVISED PROTECTIONS TO THE PREVIOUS PROTECTIONSJanuary 2017 – Comparison of the revisions to the US EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard. The chart does not cover all revisions. The purpose is to provide a look at key provision for increased protection from pesticide exposure for agricultural workers and their families.
- Guidance on Pesticide Use on Medical Marijuana – Jan. 2017
- RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDES (RUP) LIST
- KAUAI GOOD NEIGHBOR PROGRAM DATABASE
- RUP Use Report 2019
(An unredacted copy of the report will be available upon request. Please email all requests to [email protected])
- Draft Study on “Pesticide Use by Large Agribusinesses on Kauai”
- Final Project Report on Kauai Air Sampling Study (March 2013)
Other sources of information:
School Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Grants
EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention (OCSPP) has launched an initiative to promote expanded use of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in schools. To provide greater protection for children’s health by employing IPM as a pollution prevention tool, EPA is increasing its commitment to school IPM and redirecting resources to increase the attention and support given to school IPM programs. This effort is intended to accelerate the move from demonstration to the implementation of school IPM to ensure that the millions of children in our nation’s schools will benefit from the protection afforded by quality IPM programs.
NPIC – National Pesticide Information Center: http://npic.orst.edu
Or call toll free 1-800-858-7378 (7:30 am – 3:30 pm PT Monday – Friday)
EPA Container and Containment Rule:
EPA Worker Protection Standards:
- Pesticides Education Resource Collaborative (PERC)
- How to Comply with the 2015 Revised WPS
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations Part 170 – WPS
- Sample WPS Application Record
- Sample WPS Application Record (Chinese)
- Sample WPS Application Record (Thai)
- WPS Brochure for Decontamination Site, Central Notification Site, and Recordkeeping
- Sample WPS Pesticide Training Record
- WPS Brochure for Decontamination Site, Central Notification Site, and Recordkeeping (Chinese)
New Soil Fumigation Requirements. Soil Fumigant “Toolbox”: